...the BEST English-Learner's site on the 'Net!
Past Progressive Lesson + Exercise
Past Progressive FORM: (BE) + ___ING
Past Progressive USAGE:
Use past progressive for actions in progress at a time in the past.
when Frank called.
I began studying at 6 pm.
Frank called me at 6:30.
I was still studying when Frank called.
After I finished talking to Frank,
I continued to study.
Look for "past progressive" key words: at that moment, at that time, while, etc.
READ the sentence, CHOOSE the answer, and get your score instantly!
1) Suzanne ____ to school when it began to rain. She got very wet.
2) Ferris ____ English for two hours last night because he had a test today.
3) My friend lives in Korea, but he ____ California when I met him.
4) Lee ____ from Korea. His hometown is Seoul.
5) ____ you ___ a new notebook?
6) ____ you ___ to the store when the accident happened?
7) Sylvia and Mary ___ friends. They liked to go shopping at the mall together.
8) One day, they ____ lunch at the mall when they saw a thief.
9) The thief ____ into a woman's purse when Sylvia screamed and pointed at him.
10) When Sylvia screamed, the thief ___ away. Fortunately, the police caught him outside the mall.
correct answers out of 10.
1) Suzanne WAS WALKING to school when it began to rain.
2) Ferris STUDIED English for two hours last night because he had a test today.
3) My friend lives in Korea, but he WAS VISITING California when I met him.
4) Lee CAME from Korea. His hometown is Seoul.
5) DID you BUY a new notebook?
6) WERE you GOING to the store when the accident happened?
7) Sylvia and Mary WERE friends.
8) One day, they WERE EATING lunch at the mall when they saw a thief.
9) The thief WAS REACHING into a woman's purse when Sylvia screamed and pointed at him.
10) When Sylvia screamed, the thief RAN away.
Copyright (C) Kaye Mastin Mallory / English-Zone.Com