|English-Zone.Com...the BEST English-Learner's site on the 'Net!|
The TA's Manual
When a student turns in his/her project two
weeks late and asks for full credit, accept the late work and tell them
that it will be awarded full credit. However, do inform them that you will
not have time to grade it until after you complete your Ph.D.
1. If students will not stop talking when the class period begins, announce that there will be a quiz the following day on today's lecture. Then leave.
2. If your students are prone to reading the school paper in class, try taking out a full page ad in the paper informing them that they are going to flunk your class.
1. In the event that you are unprepared for a lecture, be sure to use the class time to stress to the class the importance of keeping up with the readings. In fact, spend most of the class time stressing this.
2. When the time comes to lecture on a subject you know nothing about, the art of controlled digression is invaluable. Here, you try to incite unrelated questions from the class which you answer at length. Then at the end of class you scold them for digressing and tell them they'll just have to get the material from the book.
1. Always use a fire engine red felt-tip marker with a 1/2 inch tip to grade papers. Position your comments strategically so that they spell "DUMB" when seen from a distance.
2. You may grade assignments however you like. Here is a guide to quick and easy grading:
20 % Name
If student A approaches you complaining that an answer on their exam was marked incorrect but was marked correct on student B's exam, promptly mark student B's answer incorrect as well. This will redirect the heat from you onto student A.
1. If students request extra credit to make
up for the homework they didn't turn in, be sure to make the opportunity
available to them. Some good extra credit problems are:
2. You may also wish to tell the student that they can do extra credit work while you decide whether to accept it. When the student turns in the work, decide against it.
1. When it is obvious to you that several people have copied each others homework, grade one person's work on a separate sheet of paper, then photocopy your comments onto everyone else's homework.
2. Should you have very skilled cheaters
in your class, try giving incorrect information during your lectures. This
should result in incorrect answers on exams. Examples that have proven
effective at this technique include:
You are expected to spend at least 4 hours each week in the lab to assist with student's questions. Student's have been known to come up with some real beauties:
"Why should I save it? I wasn't done
Here are the solutions to the most common problems:
P: "The screen is blank - I can't see what
P: "How do I get into Windows?"
P: "I can't get this computer to do anything."
P: "The stupid printer printed the wrong
P: "WordPerfect didn't do what I told it
|Copyright (C) 1995-2004 by Kaye Mastin Mallory|